Bow Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of bow? Fixed or mechanicals? What kind of game? Tell a little about your setup.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Older Matthews with goldtip arrows and rage 3 blade mechanicals. Whitetail are the main target. Hunt from hang on stands in public areas. No bait.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bowtech guardian, easton bloodlines, nap bloodrunner two blade. Target deer til duck season comes in, pigs once it closes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bow tech destroyer 340 - nap thunderheads and slick trick magnums FOBS and just went to a stan thumb release. Just figuring out these eastern white tails and hogs. Grew up out west and never hunted from a tree stand before - don't like heights so we will see. Always been a stalker. Guided spot and stalk elk hunters for a while but liked the packing end of the business better.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never hunted out west. Always been a dream of mine. I don't know anything but a treestand. Deer and pigs sound here in Florida. How you like the fobs? Thought about going to em and like the idea but never could get away from the security of a biscuit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Started about three years ago. Bought a Hoyt intruder for a $100 at my local pawn shop. Put a whisker biscuit rest, tru glo five pin site, five arrow silent release quiver, and gold tip arrows. Shoot either muzzy 100 grain fixed blad broad heads or NAP 2 blad bloodrunners.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have never hunted out west. Always been a dream of mine. I don't know anything but a treestand. Deer and pigs sound here in Florida. How you like the fobs? Thought about going to em and like the idea but never could get away from the security of a biscuit.
Nothing like being 15 feet from a bugling bull elk.
The FOBs are great if you can get past the look but you definitely need a drop away rest. Only thing I don't like about them is you can't shoot for groups without risking damage to them. Less forgiving than fletching that way but even damaged they still do pretty well.
I did have my finger in the way of one once. Instead of a cut or burn like feathers/ fletching it was like smashing my finger with a hammer and was bruised for about 3 weeks - only took the one time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Martin Onza 3 at 65lbs. Also a FOB shooter.

As to the fobs....I don't group shoot any more so that's a non issue with me. Drop away is the only way to go. I have not had a problem with containment....I use an arrow holder attached to the shelf. And just keep my finger on the arrow when walking/stalking.

All the hype over these things is true. I will never go back to shooting traditional fletching again. The only negative was I had to adjust my anchor point. I anchor lower now so the FOB is more like a kisser now.

Also it doesn't do too well with bows in the 30 inch or less because of the sharp string angle.

The Martin is just enough for me. Looking to move back up to 35+ ata soon.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did have my finger in the way of one once. Instead of a cut or burn like feathers/ fletching it was like smashing my finger with a hammer and was bruised for about 3 weeks - only took the one time.
Self correcting problem haha

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just can't get away from the whisker and its ability to hold the arrow in position, without clanking, at any angle. All the fall aways I have found have some sort of play and sound when inverted upside down. Glad you guys like em and they post good results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hear ya on the bisket. To be honest its one of the best rests I have used. My buddy swears by them. He won't use fobs for that same reason.

I use the Fobs not only because I love how they fly, but I also don't have the space for a workshop. Same reason I like my Martin. I don't need a press to remove strings and things. So no space needed for special tools and whatnot.

If I pick up this Athens or New Breed I have my eye on....I may be forced to create the space for a workshop.......

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I used a whisker biscuit for a while and it ripped the feathers on my arrows all up. So I use a drop away now and love it. They make one now that is as stable as a whisker biscut but still drops away. Kinda pricy though...,

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fletching arrows sucks and fobs are so easy. I do have to fletch all my aluminum arrows though and I do hate it.
Why you still shooting aluminium?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a couple dozen and just use em for plinking in the back yard. I do like how easy they pull from the target. I really hate to abuse the carbons if I can avoid it. I'm getting more and more of the carbon so I may have to start using the oldest as my plinking shafts. I don't know why I still shoot aluminum now that I think about it.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I used to have a PSE stinger but I got a new bow over Christmas. Came home for Christmas from Fort Lee, VA and got a 2013 bear motive 7 and other accessories. I love it, its smooth as crap pullback. Shot a 1 inch group at 20 yrds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
2012 Diamond Fugitive - Easton Full Metal Jacket - G5 100 Grain fixed broadheads - Vipor sight - Bone collector stabalizer - Octane Trip Wire rest - Stock Diamond quiver (for now) until I get some money for a Octane ghost quiver. I hunt with a Field and Stream Climber, couple hundred acres of private land. I use 2 Primos - Truth Cam 35's and a Wildgame Innovations little camo cam for scouting. Record all my hunts with a Sony Handycam HD. Missed a 6 point the first day here in PA on public land. My buddy was about 5 feet above me being "camera man" that day and stop him a little too quick and I wasnt on target and shot through a spruce tree and some how the arrow went 2 inches over top of the deer after going 100 different ways. Also during the off season I bait with a homemade (500 lb. capacity) corn feeder. Living the life in the backwoods of Central PA.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mathews z7 extreme... Will be the new monster here in the next couple months.. Loaded with apache drop away, tight spot quiver, axcel sight, axion stabilizer and the focus grip (best thing ever for a Mathews)

I end up hunting thru gun season with it, and shoot alot of 3d thru the summer

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
You don't mess around. Lol. My cousin shoots the Z7 and that thing is awesome.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts