Bow Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an OLD bass pro compound that I used for the past few seasons and it finally expolded the other night. I was waiting on my buddy and his GF to show up and I pulled it back to check things and BOOM!

The limbs delaminated and a chunk of the wheel went flying into the water....... Im glad I wasnt at full draw.

So what did I do next? I got out my backup bow, however its draw length is very short on it. Its good for those quick shots though!

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
That sucks. Did you punch yourself in the face when it let go?? Been there done that. :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasnt at full draw thankfully and I didnt punch myself in the face.

I was thinking of an AMS bow or the PSE blue bow (the name escapes me). However, I have thought about a recurve either way Im getting a new hunting bow before my next bowfishing bow. So looks like im stuck with the short draw bow of my backup PSE.

·
Registered
135 Posts
well most people think its crazy. think about it you spend way more on a deer hunting bow you only get a few shots a season if you lucky. That bowfishing bow you gonna shoot more times in one night that you would all deer season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is expensive, but if I get one then it will last me for years and years. With big game bows their is always a new bow coming out that is better and faster enabling you to shoot farther and have less shots that are subject to the dreaded "string jump". Shooting fish you don't have that problem.

Im just due for a new big game bow and then ill get the new bowfishing rig..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I would look into getting a used Oneida or Monster Phoenix or Dragon bow. That way you can use it for bowfishing or hunting. Those are great do it all bows and are easy to maintain. Plus, you can get a good used bow for not too much. I just got a Dragon (already had a Phoenix) off a forum for 350. Now its my primary rig.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well most people think its crazy. think about it you spend way more on a deer hunting bow you only get a few shots a season if you lucky. That bowfishing bow you gonna shoot more times in one night that you would all deer season.
I guess you're right. I had a Parker wildfire xp that was like $425 though and it served the purpose. Now its my bowfishing bow! I'm not a deer hunter at all anymore and only duck and goose hunt in the fall now, that's my first passion so I can't see myself dropping that much on a bow strictly for bowfishing. But hey, that's me. If you're someone that isn't spending tons of money on college then go for it!

·
Registered
135 Posts
pse discovery 2 is another good option. I shoot one of those also and have put a lot of fish in the boat. for 180 best bang for buck ive seen. I shoot around 22lbs and havent had much issue with penetration

1 - 14 of 14 Posts