Bow Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to bowfishing and just went for 3 nights in a row this weekend with a friend, who is also new. We found a public pond tucked into the woods next to a small lake with a trail going around it and saw that it is loaded with carp. We decided to walk around the pond with our bows and see if we can hit any in the shallows since it doesn't have an access to bring a boat in. There were many cary that were right on the surface, even having their dorsal fin and the top of their bodies sticking out. we took many shots at them when they were 15' +-5' away from shore and seemed to hit them every time untill we started reeling in. I use a 45# recurve and my friend uses a 45# compound, the points of the arrows are very sharp so i doubt that they are just bouncing off. it seems that the fish arent even there at all even though half of them are sticking out of the water. any suggestions will help

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Practice man. You are just plain missing. Try aiming a little lower every shot until you hit them. Usually when people miss they are shooting high.
Your bows are fine...I have one bow that is set at 25lbs for girls and young kids. It sticks fish fine out to 20 feet or so.

·
Registered
451 Posts
what nuff said. practice. It took me awhile till i finally figured out where to shoot on a fish, but once i did it seemed like something "clicked" in my head and i started to hit most things I should have. I still like taking long shots but my 40 lb recurve sometimes is too weak, where i stick a fish and the arrow pulls. also belly shots pull out due to the softness sometimes. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts