Bow Fishing Forum banner

New guy

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  NightKnight 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Im from Md. and new to bow fishing.

#7 ·
Planning on starting. Im debating on fitting my hunting rig or buying a cheap used bow and fitting it with a bow fishing setup.
Get a cheap bow at a pawn shop or garage sale. You'll be happy you did. Bowfishing is rough on bows, and you'll want one with the poundage set around 35-45 lbs. just make sure it has a mounting hole for a rest and the holes for a sight if your going to use a AMS retriever. If your going with a spincast reel or a spool the make sure it has a spot for a stabilizer.

#8 ·
Get a cheap bow at a pawn shop or garage sale. You'll be happy you did. Bowfishing is rough on bows, and you'll want one with the poundage set around 35-45 lbs. just make sure it has a mounting hole for a rest and the holes for a sight if your going to use a AMS retriever. If your going with a spincast reel or a spool the make sure it has a spot for a stabilizer.
Thanks for the advice.

#10 ·
If you dont have anything yet I would look on craigslist for bowfishing combos. Or Buy a AMS reel and a old recurve. Personally I think with this setup you will have the least problems. I love shooting my recurve because you can shoot fast and dont have to full draw (like most older compounds). also see if you can get out with someone that has been bowfishing to show you the ropes

#11 ·
If you dont have anything yet I would look on craigslist for bowfishing combos. Or Buy a AMS reel and a old recurve. Personally I think with this setup you will have the least problems. I love shooting my recurve because you can shoot fast and dont have to full draw (like most older compounds). also see if you can get out with someone that has been bowfishing to show you the ropes
I'm glad you mentioned recurves. My dad has two that he was given that he said I can have. I'll use one of them to get started. I'll start looking for someone to show me the ropes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.