Bow Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im upgrading to an 1860 boat with an 130hp outboard
I want to rig out the boat with a pusher fan. I have a good idea how to fab everything but I'm stumped on the fan motor size (hp) and blade size. I'm also wondering if I need float pods to carry weight.
Any ideas? I wanting to do this boat right. I want it for years to come and know I want a kohler motor. I just don't want to under estimate the power to move this boat. Please help me out y'all!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I'm not pisitive, but I'll ask a few people I know and I'll get back at ya. Float pods wouldn't hurt. With that big of an outboard on back you will be sitting a little low and will be tougher to get shallow enough to make a fan better than a troller.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Sounds like 25+ hp is what your going to need. Depends on conditions too. Are you going to need to push over obstacles/sand bars? Or shoot in an area with a lot of wind?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
And welcome to the forum!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
As for props...I'm not sure where the best place to get them from, but with a google search you might be able to find something. Just call a few places up and tell them what your plan is and they should be able to recommend an appropriate prop for the motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks and yea I need to be able to get over obstacles. Between the skinny marsh water and the lake stumps I need to be able to get out of sticky situations

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I'd go as big as you can afford then. You can never have too much power.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I saw some people have a wintch under the deck so they can pull themselfs over stuff. You will get wet feet but you will always make it over. And if you got the money get the pods. worst outcome your boat drafts higher

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I was told you loose a little top end as well with the pods. But with the 130hp that won't be that big of a deal. the shallower draft would definitely be worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks y'all. I'm looking at a 25hp kohler with belt reduction. Called power fin and they recommended reduction vs direct drive cause of vibration. I just gotta get the engine and reduction right before I invest in a prop. I'm contemplating wood prop but composite looks and sounds smoother. This build keeps getting more complex and more expensive day by day lol

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Yup. I figure that out when I set my boat up. I tried to do it "on the cheap" because I'm planning on upgrading in a few years. Still ended up running me quite a few grand.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I have a 1760 all welded 1/8" hull with a 24hp Honda. Direct drive 46" 3 blade prop.

Pushes it really well, I haven't messed with a reduction quite yet.

Buy what you want the first time. Easier to save an extra 500$ then respend on the entire project

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
How do the direct drives work as far as hooking to the shaft coming out of the motor? I have a 12 hp engine sitting in my barn that I've been thinking real hard about turninginto a little pusher fan. I know it won't do much, but it's got to be better that screwing with the trolling motor in the weed beds.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
basically the hub attaches directly to the output shaft of the motor
Ok cool, thanks...thats how I thought it worked but wasn't sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts