Bow Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to toss this out here. I made one recently and it works ok. You won't feel bad if you get it wet.

IMAG0848_zps749bab34.jpg

IMAG0849_zps38cb263f.jpg

I haven't really check the pull weight but it's estimated to be 60#. Doesn't have the oomph of my recurves but it cost all of about $7 to make. I have more in the the nock points and finger savers than the bow. I make my own strings

This is still in testing as my threaded tee came off already once so I have another method planned if that happens again.

Check out youtube for backyardbowyer and learn all you ever wanted to know about making PVC bows. This guy knows what he's doing.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I've been thinking about making one of those. Might have to give it a try, They would make good loaner bows.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a jig and bought some B50 dacron. I should have started this years ago. It's really very easy. So far I just use a flemish twist. I just started this 2 weeks ago :D It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to make a string. Then you set it on the bow for a couple days to let it stretch.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
The T is just a slide through correct? Both limbs are actually 1 piece?

·
Registered
250 Posts
My bow is all one piece. The "T" is a snap on T 3/4" you find them where you find all other pvc fittings. I don't think I'd use the T again. If you have the choice I think a piece of bar stock ( I have key stock) threaded 5/16-24 with 2 sideways holes to run zip ties through and attach to the bow that way may be better. Then just tape in place to keep it from sliding around.

You might be able to do the same kind of thing for an AMS setup.

I don't think I'll be using the 808 much longer. I lost an arrow last night because the bail reset after the arrow was in flight for 15' or so broke the string. I like the retrieve speed of the spinner but I kind of like the simplicity of the bottle.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Have not lost an arrow yet since switching to bottle. Wont ever go back

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks a lot how long is the bow overall and what would happen if I had two separate limbs and put threaded caps on the end of the limbs and screw them into a T if that would work or pulling the bow back would break the threads out and did you use 1''

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The snap on T matches the size of your pipe. In this case 3/4"

I think the screw in T would be a weak point as the bow is going to want to flex along it's entire length until it his a stiff spot. In this case that would be the threads.

Try it and see how it works.

Otherwise check out backyardbowyer on both google and youtube. He has other designs that are 2 piece and 3 piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts