Bow Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i watch all the ironman bowfishin shows and the other night they were showing him tieing a line 2 arrow...ok to the point.......how did he tie 2 the bck of arrow and and shoot without a safetyslide ? anybody know ? seems it would hangup on the rest or reel...

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I've never done it but you have to run the string tight and under your arrow over the rest. I think it's dangerous and don't recommend doing it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
basically just tie a loop and stick it through the hole. put around nock and pull tight if that makes sense. Big thing to keep in mind is where your string is at. Make sure its all in your rest so it doesnt get caught on anything. Also make sure its tight to your reel. Tying to the back is really nice if you pass through a fish or if u forget to push the button on your spinner. I shoot slides and tied to the back just depends. I really like tying to the back b/c like i said if you forget to push the button it wont let you shoot your arrow. I recommend you use 200# ff so that it breaks if for some reason it gets caught around something

·
Registered
76 Posts
tks 4 the info,,,,dont thk ill try it,,,ill stick 2 my saftey slide.....my 10 yr ol shoots wth me and i tld him i would check it out 4 him..i bought adapters and lighted nocks for the boy but now got a lil prob......the nocks wouldnt "snap " in like they advertise so like a dummy i epoxied nock in...we shoot some sort of hydro rest...... that i made of course.......and its hittin the rest and kickin the arrow up. ...is there any certian way 2 put em cause they not same diam as the arrow..they slide over top.....anybody else shoot any ?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I don't know what to tell you on that one. The only thing I can think of that would stop that is a whisker biscuit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I first started bowfishing I used to tie directly to the back and let the line rest on the outside of my forearm. Defiantly dangerous and you would not be wearing a watch. :startle:

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
tks 4 the info,,,,dont thk ill try it,,,ill stick 2 my saftey slide.....my 10 yr ol shoots wth me and i tld him i would check it out 4 him..i bought adapters and lighted nocks for the boy but now got a lil prob......the nocks wouldnt "snap " in like they advertise so like a dummy i epoxied nock in...we shoot some sort of hydro rest...... that i made of course.......and its hittin the rest and kickin the arrow up. ...is there any certian way 2 put em cause they not same diam as the arrow..they slide over top.....anybody else shoot any ?
Its hard to understand your post, but it sounds like either your knock point is too low on the string or your rest is set too high.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Its hard to understand your post, but it sounds like either your knock point is too low on the string or your rest is set too high.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
na my nock is n the same place as it has always been...ok,,,the adapter u have 2 buy for the lighted nockd slides over the 5/16 arrow so the O.D is bigger than arrow so it"drags" on the rest so when u shoot the arrow slides smoothly threw the rest until it gets bout 3in from back of arrow then it hits the adapter just i need a carpavor or wisker bisc and that would solve my prob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats the old school way of doing it. Run your string first through the hole by the tip then to the hole at the end by the nock, then tie a knot at the front hole keeping the string tight against the arrow preventing any slack or loop to prevent hanging on the rest or anything else.

But since the invention of the slide, there is no need to use that method as it raises risk of serious injury. Since slides are so cheap, why risk killing yourself from snap back and taking a heavy glass arrow to the head or face? lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
if your shooting a spinner your lines gonna break if it gets caught no matter if your using a slide or tying to the back. I used both just depends if im shooting suspended fish or not. If i take a newbie i def tie to the back so i dont have to worry about them shooting without pushing the button

·
Registered
59 Posts
Call me old school but I tie on tht was the way I was taught an I personally can't stand the slides ! Believe it or not there jus as dangerous if ur not usin an AMS setup

·
Registered
250 Posts
There should be no snap back if you're using the proper line. Fastflight will break, you lose an arrow but not an eye.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, the definition of "proper" all depends on what you are going for. The larger the game, the larger the line weight etc. But if that string gets looped around your arrow rest at the time of release, no matter the bowfishing grade line type, you can be in big trouble.

Hey, some people like to juggle chainsaws. To each, his own is how I look at it. More power to ya, just wanted to point out that, if someone chooses to not use a slide, they are raising the risk level when doing so. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The guy in the video did it wrong. He tied it to the string. I haven't heard of anyone getting it caught on the string. I am not saying that cant happen, I have just never heard of it happening. The situation occurs (that I have heard of), at the rest with the string getting looped on the rest, thus you have enough slack for the arrow to go a few feet or yards then it will snap back like a rubber band.

There was a teenager that died here in the DFW area last year. The glass arrow snapped back and penetrated his eye going into the skull and it killed him. I will post more links below so you can read up a bit more on it. It does and can happen. Like i said, if people don't believe it and want to continue, cool, good luck. But for those that would like to know if it is dangerous or not, I personally, would want them to know & not try to convince them there is nothing to worry about, not only have some had serious injuries by doing this, some have died. Life is great, why risk it?

In fact, the death by this very scenario (tieing the line to the end of the arrow) inspired the AMS system itself.

Read about it here -> http://www.womenhunters.com/ams-article.html

More - The thread paints a good picture, but the pics are no longer available. But you get a pretty good picture of how bad this injury was. Arrow snapped back and hit is hand where holding the bow. He ended up loosing the finger completely. It couldn't be repaired.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f21/bowfishing-accident-85137/

Google it, I think you might be surprised as to how much this happens. Once you see how many times this happens a year, it gets pretty hard to say "dont worry about it, nothing bad is gonna happen" if you dont use a slide.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts