Bow Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot traditional archery, mostly longbow, but some old-school 50s and 60s one-piece recurves as well. Can anyone recommend a good trad bow to get started bowfishing with?

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are several good recurves out there to choose from. I would recommend the pse kingfisher or the Martin rebel or Martin jaguar. The kingfisher can be found on almost ever bowfishing supplies website and for the cost it's not a bad lil bow. Also if I'm not mistaken ams and October mountain products sail a combo kit ready to fish of the sand shark recurve. Either way you go you want be disappointed just find the one that's in your price rang and have fun. Aim low and good luck to you this season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the kingfisher is unfortunately right hand only, and I'm a lefty, but I really like the looks of that sand shark recurve package. Thanks for that advice! I think that'll be the one I pick up, since I've never done this before, and I don't want to try to customize something myself without the proper knowledge beforehand.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I think just about any bow you like will work. Recurves/longbows are nice because you can shoot of a half draw unlike a compound.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not for sure on a long bow but if you have a recurve and don't want to drill holes on it you can get a traditional mount that connects to the bow. It might work on a long bow as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not for sure on a long bow but if you have a recurve and don't want to drill holes on it you can get a traditional mount that connects to the bow. It might work on a long bow as well.
Awesome! 3 rivers sells that. Now, I'm excited, it'll definitely go on a longbow. I even bought my fishing license in a flurry of optimism last night, so now I can't wait to give this a try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haha yeah no what u mean by that hope you find the right setup for you soon and you can get out there and start shooting you some fishes. Good luck to you this upcoming season

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts

Awesome! 3 rivers sells that. Now, I'm excited, it'll definitely go on a longbow. I even bought my fishing license in a flurry of optimism last night, so now I can't wait to give this a try.
Beat me to it. I've never used one of the 3 rivers mounts but I heard they were good. Good luck setting everything up and shooting when you get out there. You'll be hooked forever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In the process of converting a couple of old compounds to recurve for bowfishing. Currently for the conversion I have a martin jaguar, martin gazell, and an old hoyt. Probably do the hoyt and gazell first.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I won't be taking my Black Widow LAG out on the boat any time soon LOL

I made a PVC bow and somebody showed me a piece they made to hold a reel seat. Basically a piece of key stock with a 5/16-24 threaded hole in the middle with to smaller holes drilled side to side and zip tied to the bow. I'll still have to try this if my threaded T comes off again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also strickly a traditional shooter and have not shot a compound in 23 years.

Get the ams gadget atapter with the rubber straps and you can put any reel on any bow. My wife and i both use those with retriver reels on both recurves and longbows. works great. I have shot only a longbow for the past 11 years personally love it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mattman post pictures of that bow. If your selling it I might get it from you.

Zollie

·
Registered
451 Posts
haha I will when I got time. I gotta find it and a camera. then figure out how to post it. lol. Its a ben pearson gamester. only prob the guy i bought it from screwed holes into it for a reel :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.